Today’s infrastructure management is getting complex. We now have hybrid datacenters, multi-cloud solutions, virtual machines and so on. With all this complexity is difficult to manage configuration consistency, changes and to keep up with security vulnerabilities and patches.
Enterprises realize that is not possible to engage more human resources to overcome these issues that easy. Here is where Oracle Enterprise Manager (EM) can help to meet all these challenges by automating discovery of targets, provisioning, patching, cloning and upgrading databases. But more important, doing all these in a consistent manner and following compliance rules.
Lifecycle Management Pack in EM 13c contains a set of tools that provide:
- Automated Discovery of hosts and targets
- Provisioning DBs, Oracle GI, Linux VMs and Fusion Middleware applications
- Patching of DB targets through the patching workflow and patch plans
- Out-of-place patching using fleet maintenance
- Full multitenant management support allows you to create, clone, plug/unplug and delete PDBs
- Change management which captures and compares object definitions, parameters and data
- Configuration management searches and compares configuration data across the enterprise
- Target inventory tracker
- Compliance management evaluates targets and systems as they relate to your business best practices for configuration and security
- Enterprise data governance identifies DB’s that potentially contain sensitive data
- Change activity planner enables you to to plan, manage and monitor operations in your datacenter
This EM pack is under an additional license covered under the Lifecycle Management pack. I’ll be covering all these tools one by one in future posts.
Additional information can be found in the Oracle EM Lifecycle Management administration guide: